Some of you might be planning a get together this long weekend. Perhaps you are wondering what to serve your friends or what to bring to a potluck. This salad is wonderfully delicious and is a perfect side dish to any meal. The tangy lemon dressing mixed with oregano and olives brings out the Mediterranean flavours.
I love making this dish at this bountiful time a year. All the ingredients used in the salad are fresh and in season. I used primarily yellow and green beans, but they can be substituted with strips of different coloured zucchinis. Sometimes when I don’t have enough beans, I mix in some summer squash.
- 1 lb green beans trimmed
- 1 lb yellow beans trimmed
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 shallots, diced (sometimes I use red onion)
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
In a pot of boiling water, cook the beans for about 7 minutes or until tender-crisp. Drain well and transfer in a large bowl. If I use zucchini, I fry strips of them until tender-crisp before transferring to the bowl.
Heat the oil in skillet on medium heat. Add the shallots, red pepper and garlic. Sauté for 5 minutes or until softened slightly. Add the beans.
The Lemon Oregano Dressing
- ½ tsp grated lemon rind
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh oregano
- 1 small garlic clove minced
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ cup crumbled feta cheese (I always put more. I love feta cheese!)
- ¼ cup oil-cured black olives pitted and slivered. (if I don’t have black olives on hand, I use green olives)
To make the dressing, whisk together lemon rind and juice, oregano, garlic and mustard; season with salt and pepper.
Drizzle in the olive oil, whisking until blended. Pour over the beans and toss to coat well.
Place the salad in a serving bowl or platter, sprinkle the feta cheese and olives. Enjoy!
Stop by the shop to get a great tasting olive oil that will make the dressing extra special. While you are here, check out our cheese selections.